Homestead Experience

cre: Homestead Experience

For me the farm experience is what you make of it. If you want to bond with your family, hang out with them after dinner. I think spending time sitting with your host family also allows you to practice your Spanish and really learn a lot about what it’s like to live in Costa Rica.

I am truly grateful for my host family here. It is truly a blessing that so many families here have opened their homes to allow international students to live with them. I think it’s admirable because not only do these families open their homes to students they’ve never met, but they open their homes to students who are learning their language. Of course, the language barrier has been a challenge at times, but I really think it really demonstrates how even without all the words you can build a strong relationship with someone.

To be honest, I was pretty nervous about living with a host family at first. Before coming to Costa Rica, students told me that host families have rules and that you don’t have a lot of independence. In my experience, this is not true at all. My host family were very welcoming and wanted to create a great experience for me.

Last Sunday, I spent the day getting closer to my host family. We went to a lagoon in a park in Aleluja. This lagoon had so many beautiful big trees around and lots of picnic tables. There were so many families having celebrations, like birthdays and baby showers. I saw children playing soccer, couples, taking naps in the shade of trees, and dogs running around the field. Everywhere I looked there were people enjoying the great weather and quality time with their family, friends and pets!

My foster dad planned the day. We walked through the forest, took pictures together and watched the fish in the lagoon. We walked around and decided to have coconut desserts and peanuts as a snack. Afterwards, we went to a little cafe that overlooked the mountains and just enjoyed our time together. I think the car ride was one of the most memorable moments as we listened to some traditional Costa Rican music and I listened to my family happily singing along to the tune of a Marimba.



from studyabroadaz.com https://ift.tt/33Xsvce
via studyabroadaz.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When to Go Hybrid: Determining Which Format Best Fits Your Program

How to brainstorm ideas in IELTS writing part-2?

Sweets and Treats in Dublin