Good-bye, Small Town, USA! Hello, Vienna!

cre: Good-bye, Small Town, USA! Hello, Vienna!

Screenshot 2017-08-15 at 12.40.51 PM.png

Washington DC, June 2017

Welcome to my blog! My name is Victoria Rice. These entries will be my means of documentation for fall 2017, AKA, the semester I spent in Vienna, Austria. I am from the small rural town of Clewiston, Florida. I left America’s Sweetest Town two years ago to study at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. I am a major in anthropology and human biology and a minor in religion. I am a reporter for the Her Campus section of my university, I am on the board of directors of the Emory Anthropology Student Society, and I am a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon. When I’m not in class, you will probably find me at the library or at a local cafe.

My trip to Vienna will take place in less than a week. I have four days to say goodbye to my friends and family, pack my bags and learn enough German to travel to the city where I will be spending the next four months. (“Einen Kaffee, bitte” and “Wo ist der Zucker? On the plus points!

Screenshot 2017-08-15 at 12.41.06 PM.png

Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Washington DC June 2017

My trip to Washington DC to get an Austrian visa went well. At first it was disheartening that the nearest consulate was 1,006 miles from my house and that I had to reschedule my appointment several times… but I did it there and I got my visa! The Austrian attendant who worked at the embassy was welcoming. I was grateful for his patience as I found out how bad I am at giving fingerprints. I am very grateful for my visa trip because it gave me the excuse to go and visit the capital of my country.

I had my housing placement a few weeks ago. I have been placed with a foster family, which means that I will be living with a Viennese resident. Given only the resident’s address and an email address, I contacted my host. They answered me within a few days. It was nice to receive a friendly email from the stranger with whom I will be living soon. (I hope they felt the same!) My qualms about living with a host family have evaporated. I’m so excited to move in and get started.

The choice of courses went well! I was happy to see that many of the courses I had planned to take were offered this semester. I even signed up for a few interesting classes that I didn’t expect to see. It’s a bit worrying that I don’t know my schedule before arriving in Vienna, but I’m optimistic about it. I found it reassuring that the registration form took into account the courses that had to be applied to my major. My semester abroad will undoubtedly be an adventure and the courses I take will be only part of it.

Shopping for fall / winter clothes in the middle of summer in South Florida has proven to be a daunting task. This contradicts the beliefs of my northern friends who have assured me otherwise. After a few shopping sprees on both coasts of my wonderful peninsula, I am relieved to have relatively warm weather at the start of my stay. As I type this blog post, the current temperature in Vienna is the “winter” temperature that I’m used to. I can’t wait to experience a winter I’ve never known.

My final positive is my study abroad checklist! I have created a list of twenty activities that I plan to do during my semester abroad. These tasks range from silly to sophisticated and I will never forgive myself if I don’t complete them all! Stay tuned as I will make sure to update it.

Study abroad checklist

  1. See you in Vienna!
  2. Try the wienerschnitzel
  3. Study in a Viennese cafe
  4. Have an entire conversation in German
  5. Get lost (at least once)
  6. Visit the oldest building in Vienna (St. Ruperts)
  7. Visit the Imperial Palace
  8. Visit the Sigmund Freud Museum
  9. Go to an opera
  10. Listen to Mozart in Vienna
  11. Ride the Vienna Ferris Wheel
  12. Imagine I’m in the sound of music (at least once)
  13. Shop in a Christmas market
  14. Attend a cultural festival
  15. Try skiing for the first time
  16. Visit a vineyard
  17. Day trip to another country
  18. Visit Kunst Haus Wien / Hundertwasser Museum
  19. Take the U-Bahn
  20. Convince someone that I am a local



from studyabroadaz.com https://ift.tt/2ZIxax8
via studyabroadaz.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When to Go Hybrid: Determining Which Format Best Fits Your Program

How to brainstorm ideas in IELTS writing part-2?

Sweets and Treats in Dublin