Choosing Antibes: How I Came to Study in the French Riviera

cre: Choosing Antibes: How I Came to Study in the French Riviera

I never imagined in a million years that I would choose to study abroad on the French Riviera. Even though I had been learning French since kindergarten, I had never imagined visiting – let alone living – in France. But yet, here I am, sitting on my balcony, overlooking my rue d’Antibes.

I knew I wanted to study abroad ever since I visited Ireland when I was in high school. Over the summer it was my prerogative to look at all the different areas I might go to. My mom was also excited and even made a list of places she thought I would be interested in: Edinburgh, Scotland; Prague, Czech Republic; Florence, Italy.

The place that surprised me was the Côte d’Azur in the south of France. I was surprised by the stark contrast of the beach and the French Alps, the old town of Antibes and the marina. The destination description mentioned the French Riviera as a place where 1920s expats like Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway, and Gertrude Stein would draw inspiration. After that, I knew this was the place for me.

However, studying abroad with the CEA was not immediately obvious. The program was more than my home tuition, and if I couldn’t use my state scholarship, then I would have to settle for another option. My stomach was in a knot when I figured out if I could take my purse with me, and was delighted to learn that it was. However, I had no idea how many forms, meetings, and signatures I would need before crossing the Atlantic.

I had to apply to something called CampusFrance and wait for their approval before setting my visa appointment. I had to apply for a long-term French visa which required me to skip classes and drive to Atlanta for my meeting. I had a file full of documents just for the meeting: my letter of acceptance from the French school where I was going to study, two identity photos, proof of accommodation, proof that I could support myself over there, etc. And it was just for the visa.

My school asked me to receive financial aid, fill out dozens of questionnaires and forms, and ask several counselors to sign the classes I was going to take. I remember running around every corner of campus during finals week to ask for signatures on my class request sheet. My stress level was at peak capacity, but I kept telling myself that it would be worth it.

Knowing what it took to bring me to France makes me cherish my time here even more. I would put up with it again – the paperwork, the last minute meetings, the stress – if that meant I would be where I am today.




Hannah Rohaley is the Spring 2019 blogger for studyabroadaz.com on the Côte d’Azur, France, and is currently studying at Clemson University.



from studyabroadaz.com https://ift.tt/3G3j4WE
via studyabroadaz.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When to Go Hybrid: Determining Which Format Best Fits Your Program

How to brainstorm ideas in IELTS writing part-2?

Sweets and Treats in Dublin